Lace knitting is delicate, pretty, and full of intricate designs. You need a knitting needle with sharp, tapered tips.
Whether you’re new to lace knitting and looking for new knitting needles or a replacement. These reviews help you find the right one.
Table Of Contents
This post was updated 30 June 2022
What Type Of Needle Is Suited To Lace Knitting?
Due to the types of stitches involved in lace knitting and types of decreases a knitting needle with a sharp and tapered tip is essential.
Different types are suited as I explain below:
Circular needles are the most popular for lace knitting, and for a good reason. Due to the nature of many lace projects, they have many stitches.
Circular needles are suited to holding lots of stitches and giving you more room to work with.
Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needles
Suppose you plan to do or do many knitting lace projects of different sizes. If so, an interchangeable circular knitting needle set is great. Most come with a handy case to keep everything organized.
While it’s an investment, it will save you a lot in the long run.
If the pattern you’re using calls for straight needles, or you don’t have to worry about too many stitches, then this is a perfect choice for your lace project. It especially is convenient if you already have the right needles in your stash!
Note: Lace needles with small diameters aren’t beginning knitting needles! Their small size makes them difficult to maneuver and use.
What To Look For In The Best Lace Knitting Needles
How Sharp Are They? – The best lace knitting needles have a sharp and tapered tip. This is essential to make it easier to get into the stitches and create decreases involving 2 or 3 stitches.
However not too sharp, especially if you’re a pusher. It’ll become a bit painful after a few rows! However some people say it isn’t a problem, and they get used to it.
What Material Are They Made From? – The best choice in material is metal. If you’re allergic to brass, try to avoid this material.
I love my stainless steel Chiaogoo Red Lace Circular needles for knitting lace designs.
Bamboo needles or plastic is not particularly recommended. They create much friction when you’re working and can heat up very quickly. The same goes for wood needles.
However, if you prefer bamboo needles, it’s best to use that.
Are They Circular, Straight, Or Interchangeable Knitting Needles? – Of course, it depends on your individual preference, but you need to decide as this will affect the lace knitting project you create.
How Many Stitches Does The Knitting Project You’re Going To Do Have? – This will help you determine whether you need straights or circulars and how long the circular needle’s cord needs to be.
Lace patterns tend to have many stitches, so it’s essential to keep that in mind.
Are They Durable and Made Of Long Lasting Materials? – It’s important to make sure they’re going to last! The best knitting needles always are.
What’s Your Budget? – What kind of price range do you prefer? And are you going to make an investment upfront in interchangeable needles, or would you prefer to buy individual ones as you need them?
What Size Needles For Lace Weight Yarn?
The best size needles is US 000-1 (1.5mm-2.25mm). Read the recommendations on the pattern or the thread you’re choosing for your project to help you decide what size you need.
Not all require lace yarn. Lace knitting can be created in many different yarn weights ranging from fingering to aran.
The Best Needles For Lace Knitting
Here are my recommendations for the best knitting needles for knitting lace.
Addi Long Lace Tips Interchangeable Needles
The first of quite a few in the addi knitting needles line available that are suited for lace knitting, all equally good choices for a lace knitter.
Addi clicks are quite the gold standard when it comes to an interchangeable knitting needle set with case included explicitly designed for lace.
This knitting needle features longer ends than most interchangeable, hence the product name. This is to make it easier for complicated projects involving slipping stitches, knitting multiple at a time, and other variations.
It comes with a 40″ cable, so you can use this set to make things with the magic loop method.
- Features the genius and easy no-stress system of connecting needles and cords, called Addi Click.
- Designed and made in Germany
- 8 addi Long Lace Tips – US Sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- Three Cords – 24″, 32″, and 40″.
- Includes an addi lick connecter, a bonus gold heart pin, and a handy pink case
- Longer metal tips than in most sets similar to it, they’re all 5″ long
- Lifetime warranty
- Electrostatic paint to prevent wear and tear
- The surface is nickel plated and they’re sharp
- The yarn glides effortlessly over the cable and tips
- A secure connection between the two parts
- Good for knitting all kinds of things, including socks, sleeves and more.
- Some found the joins weren’t smooth and caught the yarn
- A little expensive but it’s worth the investment
- Sometimes the label on the needle tip can fade
- Some found when the cord bent it stayed that shape
Addi Turbo Lace Circular Knitting Needles
This knitting needle is the addi turbo model available from the Addi products range but modified specifically for lace knitting.
It’s the same quality, effortless, smooth and fast knitting you expect from addi turbos, but with a sharp tip and thinner cord suited for lace yarn.
- Available in a wide range of sizes
- Designed for fast, effortless knitting
- Manufactured and designed in Germany
- Hollow, lightweight and made of smooth brass
- Lifetime warranty
- Flexible cable, and a smooth join
- Sharp, but not too sharp. Just the right amount for getting into lace stitches
- The needle is long and narrow, tapered to suit lace knitting
- Easy to use, little chance of hand fatigue
- The smell of brass and feel may irritate some people, especially if you’re allergic to it.
- Quite cold to work with at first, but they warm up after some use.
Addi Lace Turbo Rockets
These are the most recognizable addi lace needles, one of the most popular brands available from Addi.
An excellent choice of fixed lace circulars, these addi lace knitting needles are high quality and built to last.
They combine the sharper tips of lace turbos and with the smooth nickel-plated brass tips of regular turbos.
- Created in Germany
- Available in many different sizes, in both cord length and needle
- Perfect for a variety of delicate projects, not just lace
- Lifetime warranty
- Tapered, hollow nickel-plated all-brass ends
- Excellent quality, built to last
- Very pliable and flexible cords
- Comfortable and a breeze to use
- Those allergic to brass should avoid these needles.
Addi Click Lace Short Tips Interchangeable Knitting Needles
Like the long tips interchangeable circular knitting needles mentioned above, they are very similar, except they have shorter ones. These are the best knitting needles for those wanting longer tips with interchangeables.
Excellent quality needles and smooth connections with the addi click system, another great interchangeable set.
It comes with a 40-inch long cable for doing projects with the magic loop method.
(Note: This kit only includes regular addi cables, not the SOS cables.)
- Designed and manufactured in Germany
- 5 cords included – 40cm (16″), 50cm (20″), 60cm (24″), 80cm (32″), and 100cm (40″).
- 8 Needles included – Us Sizes 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.75, and 11.
- Includes a bonus gold pin, an addi click connector, and a brown organized case
- Designed for easy, effortless knitting.
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturer’s defects
- Easy and quick connecting system
- Smooth joins
- Flexible but not too flexible cable
- Nickel-plated metal needles tips
- Some found the connectors can snag a little
- The connection system can be a bit confusing for some.
HiyaHiya Sharp 5“ Interchangeable Needles
Another contender for a great interchangeable knitting needle set for lace knitting, this is a favorite of many lace knitters for many reasons.
It has quality needles, useful notions, sharp needles, and smooth joins between the connections. Plus, a broad range of flexibility with the sizes included. Much value for the price you pay.
The case looks lovely, too, with dedicated pockets for all items included. A perfect choice for added flexibility so you can do any type of lace pattern.
- Thirteen sets of tips – US needle size of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15.
- 4 cords included – 18″, 26″, 34″, and 42″
- Other notions included – Small and Large Panda Stoppers, Small and Large Single Point Adapters, Puppy Snip, Darn Its (Darning Needles, and Knitters Safety Pins.
- Comes in a handy well-made case
- Needle tips are made from high-quality stainless steel
- A keyless screw-in connection system
- Flexible, pliable cords
- These metal needles are very popular with knitters
- Made of stainless steel
- Great for speed knitters
- Excellent for detail work
- They can’t offer a choice in colors. You get what you’re given.
- Cord tends to curl very easily, and if you’re not careful, could twist your lace project accidentally.
ChiaoGoo Red Lace – 24 Inches
These chiaogoo needles are a perfect choice and a recommended product by many knitters worldwide.
A set of interchangeable knitting needles, made from quality stainless steel and look beautiful while also highly functional and useful. These are some of the best lace knitting needles.
For more on these needles, read my Chiaogoo sock interchangeable post.
- 13 Needle Sizes Included – US Sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15
- Cord Lengths Included – 24″, 32″ and 40″
- Notions Included – Coded cable connectors, end stoppers, T-Shaped tightening keys, stitch markers, and a needle gauge
- The tips are all 5″ long
- A unique feature is the cords are memory free, to prevent curling. They’re made of a steel cable coated in red flexible nylon
- Tips are made of surgical grade stainless steel
- Lightweight and smooth to use
- Perfectly sharp tips
- Easy and quick knitting with these needles
- Sometimes there may be residue from the manufacturing left on the needles, rubbing them with alcohol on a cloth to remove it. You need to wipe it off before use; otherwise, it may stain your knitting or clothes.
Signature Convertible Circular Needle Set
Signature Needles from Signature Needle Arts are dubbed the “Rolls Royce” of the knitting needle brands. They’re aluminum needles.
This is because they’re luxury knitting needles with superb quality, look and feel, and attention to detail with the manufacturing.
These are some of the best knitting needles for lace.
- Includes the stiletto point, their signature sharpest point, perfect for lace knitting
- 8 Needle sizes included – 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
- The needles are all 5″ long.
- Cord lengths included – 32″ only, one cord for each needle size.
- The convertible joins are very smooth, preventing the yarn from snagging
- Wires are very flexible while not annoyingly so
- Lifetime guarantee
- Comes in lovely colors
- High-quality airplane grade aluminum metal needles
- Great for a variety of knitting projects
- Probably out of some people’s budget range, but it’s very well worth the investment
- Sometimes thin or lace-weight yarns might catch on the joins in interchangeable circulars.
- This is rare, but sometimes the joins unscrew.
- Some people found they were hard to put together.
Happy lace knitting, and may you create something beautiful you can be proud of. Hopefully, this post helped you find the best lace knitting needles and knitting tools to suit your needs.
Which lace needles appealed to you the most? Have you ever used any of these before, if so, what did you like about them? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.